Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Holding On or Letting Go?

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily,and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.  For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? " - Jesus (Luke 9: 23-25 NKJV)

In my walk, I have found that when I feel farther away from God, it's because I'm seeking my own way.  I try to control my life and then wonder why it feels empty.  Then I realize that I'm choosing my life, my comfort, my stuff, my worries, over God.  He gave us something so powerful, the power of choice.  We can choose to pursue Him or we can choose to pursue ourselves.  We can choose to pursue Heaven or choose to pursue our own heaven on Earth.  We can choose to control our own life or we can choose to let it go and give it to God.  Giving up our lives and placing it in God's hands should be a no-brainer because as David says:

"An entire lifetime is just a moment to You, human existence is but a breath. We are merely moving shadows and all our busy rushing ends in nothing." (Psalm 39:5-6)

So what exactly are we holding on to and why is it so hard sometimes to let go?







No comments:

Post a Comment