Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Antigua

View of Antigua from Cerro de La Cruz

Antigua was one of the oldest and most important cities of the colonial period, along with the capitals of Mexico and Peru.  Spain divided the New World into three sections. The section now known as Central America was controlled by Antigua. Located in the Panchoy valley, the city was founded in 1541.  Antigua was one of the first cities in the New World to use the Spanish grid design in the layout of the streets. Today, Antigua retains its original charm and still has cobble stones streets and Spanish Colonial architecture.  As the capital of Guatemala, Antigua was destroyed by the earthquake of Santa Marta in 1773. At that point, the government moved the capital to Guatemala City, where it is today. (http://www.thegringosguide.com/antigua/AntiguaHistory.htm)

I arrived to the airport where my driver Marvin was waiting for me.  I was surprised how quickly the Spanish came back to me (albeit now 24 hours later, my Spanish has gotten significantly worse).  He took me to my hotel and then I went out and explored.  It was late for Antigua as most places were closed except for a few restaurants.  I stopped at an old favorite, Mono Loco, where I had a very late and small dinner.  As I was walking back, there were a few loud bars where tourists had gotten drunk while a woman slept curled up on the street nearby.  Antigua, like many places in the world, is a place where affluence meets poverty in striking ways.

This morning, I ran my errands.  First to the bank, then to get minutes for my Guatemala cell phone, and then to find a cheaper hotel.  Around every corner was somebody trying to sell me something.  Warning to anyone planning on traveling to touristy areas in third world countries (especially if you have white skin), be prepared to be constantly bombarded with people saying some form of "good price for you!"  Once I performed said errands, I hiked up to the cross where the pic was taken above.  This spot has been a special one for me.  I remember after a 10-day mission trip to the region, we hiked up that hill and I just felt an overwhelming peace.  That peace remained allusive on this trip however, I was feeling restless.  Doubt crept in.  What was I doing here?  I was so far from my role I nitched out in Seattle, so far from people I love.  I wanted to go back right then. 

I´ve been through this before.  I remember my first few days in Buenos Aires, the start of an 8 month journey through Latin America.  Everything moved so fast, everything was so foreign, it was overwhelming.  After just a day, I kind of wanted to go home.  This time, it wasn´t as overwhelming.  I have been to this city several times in the past.  I understand Spanish a lot better than I did at the beginning of my Latin America journey.  But I still feel like a fish out of water.  I think the hardest part is coming down alone.  I´m looking forward to connecting with people in Nebaj.  Throughout the bible, people are constantly taken out of their comfort zones and only then does God work through them.

The Lord has continued to remind me of Be still and know that I am God.  I was starting to feel like I wasting my time here in Antigua since I´m not yet at the field where I will be working.  But He reminded me to be still.  I´m going to use my few days here to prepare spirtually, listening to sermons on my i-pod, reading the bible, hanging at the park and talking to locals, and just working on being still.  It´s so hard!  Thank you all for praying for me!

  From the Rooftop of my hotel




3 comments:

  1. You're never alone, God is always with you, which you've told me before. So remember than and you will be ok. He will let you encounter people to keep you company and help you with your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful. enjoy the time you have to explore. Soon enough you'll have a room full of kiddos to teach :) and remember you are never alone even when it seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad and I hike to that same place. I have a photo just like it. Be safe buddy.
    Scott M

    ReplyDelete