Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

What am I doing?

I am going to change up how I write my blog entries.  I feel like a lot of people will get confused if I continue to write in a chronological manner.  I am involved with four different ministries and I will try to keep each separate as I blog for clarity.  A typical day involves bible study in the morning, catching a microbus to Cotzal, teaching at the Horeb school, eating lunch, spending time at either the Jorai Bible Institute or Principe de Paz church.  Afterward, I take a microbus back to Nebaj, eat dinner, and if I have a little time, do a little cleaning at Cafe Mingo (where I sleep).  Some days, like today, I will stay in Cotzal and sleep at the Bible Institute.  Here are four ministries I am supporting and spending time with:


  • Horeb School - I am teaching English here with the children from 1st to 6th grade.  Wind of God just began to support this Christian school, and recently raised funds to support the teachers' salaries.  The money that has been raised for my trip ($3000 now), will go toward this school providing resources.

  • Jorai Bible Institute - Wind of God has been supporting this program since 2007.  This is an education program where students in some cases walk many miles to learn typing, computer, and the Bible.  There are currently 150 students in the typing clases, 11 in the Computer classes, and 25 in the Bible classes (in 3 different locations).  I will connect with the students and teachers and get their stories.  I will also look to find former pastors that have been through the program to talk with them and see the difference it has made in their church.  

  • Principe de Paz Extension Program - This is a Bible training program for pastors and evangelicals that Wind of God supports.  It is held on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of each month.  I will observe, learn, and build relationships with the teachers and pastors going through the program.  

  • Cafe Mingo - This is where I sleep in Nebaj.  It will be a coffeeshop where the youth can come and learn.  It is a place where the love of God can be shared and where bible studies or bible teachings can be held as well.  Cafe Mingo is Domingo's and Kara's vision.  I will help with this project of theirs in whatever way I can, and pray that God would use that place for His glory in Nebaj.
I am also hoping to get powerful stories of Pastors that have been martyred or suffered for Christ during the war here and possibly send those to Voice of the Martyrs.    

I hope this helps with clarity of what exactly I am doing in Guatemala! 

2 comments:

  1. You make me feel like I need to be out in the "field" doing something besides sitting in front of a computer on campus. Either that, I need to get out of the country for a bit. Anything I can do to help besides prayer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in front of a computer too, just in Guatemala. :) I think you are in the "field" whereever you are. Prayer is just fine, can not think of anything else that does not involve coming to Guatemala.

    ReplyDelete