Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Cafe Mingo

I was sitting at the office of Food for the Hungry (FH).  I had called a friend of my parents, Mike McComb, and he suggested paying FH a visit to see if they could help me with lodging.  I walked in, expecting to come across some Gringos or anybody to speak English with.  I felt weird showing up to the office, trying to explain in Spanish why I was there, when I didn't even know myself.  It just seemed like a good next step in making connections.  They told me to wait 20 minutes for Domingo to come.  I was hungry so I said I would be back in a couple hours but the lady seemed insistent, with the supposed wait time going from 20 minutes to 5 minutes in less than one minute.  So I waited, not sure what for.  I was just stopping by, I wasn't planning on volunteering for FH or anything, figuring I'd be plenty busy once classes started in Cotzal on Monday.  In walked Domingo.

He started speaking to me in Spanish.  I asked him if he speaked English and he said "un poco."  I told him that my father was Rich Rice and his whole demeanor changed.  He took me into his office and started speaking in fluent English.  He told me he could help with anything while I was here and told me about his vision of a coffee shop in Nebaj.

There are no positive outlets for the youth in Nebaj so they turn to drugs and gangs to find the sense of belonging they are looking for.  He told me about his vision for a place that would provide a positive place for the youth to come and inspire them to learn.  God would be at the center.  It would be the first true coffee shop in Nebaj, complete with Espressos and Capucchinos.  There would be a room with computers off to the side, where various educational activities could take place.  There may be pastors, missionaries, etc. that could share God's word.  It could be place where many Bible studies are held.  There would be a room teaching women how to sow.  The possibilities are endless.  He then talked about other areas of ministry in the area but I was hooked on to this idea.  He drove me to the site.

They had purchased this building only 15 days ago.  At this point it is completely empty, but it bristles with potential.  It is close to the center of Nebaj.  As Domingo continued to share his vision, I was hooked, and I also knew that God had just provided a place for me to stay.  I will be staying at this future coffee shop while in Nebaj.  I told Domingo I could help with any little projects when I had the time.  I am excited to be part of this and watch the beginning stages of Domingo's and Kara's vision to come to pass.

Afterward, he took me to his house where I had lunch with him and his wife Kara, who is from Canada.  They have a one year old named Jaden.  I feel completely in awe how God has answered everybody's prayers for me to make connections.  He has provided me not only a place to stay, but also with free internet, an extra laptop that I can use (that was bought for the coffeeshop), and a way that I can be of some positive use away from my duties teaching in Cotzal.  Not to mention two friends!

Please pray for this coffee shop, Cafe Mingo, that He would provide the resources needed and that God could use this place for His glory.

Thank you all for your prayers and I will update more soon.    

2 comments:

  1. I'm so hooked with the coffee shop!! It sounds like something I had wanted to do years ago but with college kids; I like Domingo's better. :) It'll definitely keep the kids in a safer and healthier environment to enjoy God's word. Will pray for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so gifted Jordan. Keep it up brother!

    ReplyDelete