Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Nebaj - First Impressions

I rode to Nebaj with a very friendly man named Carlos.  He works for Agros International and was kind enough to come and pick me up at my hotel in Antigua.  He did not speak English but we were still able to communicate.  I thought I was doing pretty good during the first half of the ride but then my mind just got tired of speaking Spanish and I got progressively worse.  Poor Carlos, having to try to put up with my poor lanugage skills...

We stopped at the Agros office in Nebaj and they helped me reserve a good hotel.  I spent two nights there before moving in to Cafe Mingo today (see last post).  During my first day, if I had been able to describe Nebaj in one word, that word would have been chaotic.  Cars, motorcylces, and tuc-tucs (little golf cart like taxis) are everywhere speeding around the many pedestrians that roam the streets.  All motor vehicles have the right-a-way here, so all pedestrians beware!  Motorists honk their horns literally all the time.  There are many different kind of honks all meaning different things, honking is it's own language out here.  Maybe by the end, I will be fluent in Guatehonkese. 

Not knowing the culture, the language, or the geography of a place can definitely feel overwhelming.  I have spent a lot of time my first couple days here just walking around and getting my bearings.  At first, I definitely had my guard up, not sure about the safety, about the reception of Gringos (white people), etc.  After a couple days though, I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable.  I have seen no violence around the area and the only time I've really felt wary here is when a gang member, clearly under the influence of something, came over to me and started talking in a very, very slurred Spanish that was impossible to understand (for me anyway).  I think he was just coming over to say hello, but he rolled up his sleeve showing his gang tattoo and hundreds of cuts on his arm.  I said my mucho gusto and he walked away.

I have been surprised that people here don't seem bewildered to see Gringos.  I was expecting people to be constantly staring at me but people seem conditioned to it here.  I'm sure I get more looks than locals do but for the most part, there doesn't seem to be a huge stigma associated with Gringos, at least none that I could pick up from people's reactions.

Aside from the craziness, Nebaj is set in a beautiful area.  I have spent most of my time in the center of the town but just a little bit away from that, it is very peaceful.  Green mountains surround Nebaj in all directions.  Most of the people are helpful and accomodating.

It has been a blessing meeting with Domingo and Kara.  I have also met with Paul and Sharon Townsend.  Paul has been in the area for 30 years translating the Bible into Ixil.  I had a good dinner with them as Paul gave me some much needed education on the ins and outs of education and church in the region.

Thank you everybody and keep praying!  I'm hoping to go to Cotzal tomorrow to connect with some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment