Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Lesson 2 - All Your Heart

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. (Deuteronomy 4:29)

God knew the Israelites would disobey Him and commit idolatry in the land they were about to take. He tells them what will happen, how they will be destroyed and scattered among the nations if they disobey. But at that low point, when they feel completely separated from God, God tells them that if they seek Him with all their heart, they will find Him. He will not completely destroy them, He will restore them, because He is merciful.  Seeking, following, loving the Lord with all, everything, every ounce of your being, is a theme often repeated throughout the Bible.* When asked by the pharisees what the greatest commandment was, Jesus replied:


“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)
It is so simple in theology, but almost impossibily difficult in practice. For me, idols pop up all over the place. The biggest one is myself. I want to be liked, I want to be happy, I want to be comfortable, I want to do things my way, I, I, I. The amazing thing is though, we are saved by His grace.

I may not always love God perfectly, wholly, completely, but He loves me that way. If I repent of seeking Him halfheartedly, of letting something sinful grab hold of my heart, He will be there to forgive and wash me clean. Pray for me, that God would bring to light the little idols that still abide in me, so I can repent and love Him wholly.


*Here are just some I found on biblegateway.com: Deut. 6:5, 10:12, 11:13, 13:3, 26:16, 30:2,6,10, Joshua 22:5, 1 Samuel 7:3, 12:20,24, 1 Kings 2:4, 8:48, 2 Chronicles 6:38, Proverbs 3:5, 4:4, Jeremiah 29:13, Joel 2:12, Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:30, 33, Luke 10:27

1 comment:

  1. Idols are such a stumbling block for any of us. Another passage I will add to your list was in Acts 17: 16-34. Paul addresses the topic in Athens. The answer I think can be found in vs 28. Thanks for posting. dad

    ReplyDelete