Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

One Month Has Already Passed...

 I have begun English classes again at HOREB.  The school has grown from 70 children last year to 104 this year, thanks to adding a Kindergarten with 20 little ones, and with 24 new children in first grade.  There have also been a few children who have transferred from the national schools.  The children were excited to have me back, none more than the first graders oddly who I had never taught before.  I think the children talk about me when I am gone.  They still have not bought land for their own school, still scraping together money and finding the perfect location.  Tabita, the Director, has organized all the teachers in finding 35 people that might help in raising the rest of the money that is needed. The returning students have remembered their English to a satisfying degree.  I am now at a stage with the sixth graders that a class period a lot of times just consists of sitting in a circle and practicing English.
 
I have also spent some time in homes.  I was recently in the home of one family whose father just left for the dangerous journey of crossing illegally into the United States to find work.  The children are sad and are not performing as well at school.  Families here are in hard situations, having little options.  The father who left only has a 2nd grade education with no available work in the town.  All we can do is pray for his safety and that God would provide for the family’s needs.
 
I have made two trips back to Guatemala City to visit Mariajose and the girls.  Those trips back have felt very short and I am excited to spend more time with them during Holy Week.  We have gotten involved with a church in Guatemala City, called Journey Church, and have begun getting involved with a small group at the Pastor’s home. 

In the month of April, WIND will be bringing down two dental teams from Medical Teams International.  One will go out into villages, assessing the dental needs and preparing for the second team which will provide direct care.  The children at HOREB will also be seen by these teams.  We will also have a meeting with United Way on April 11th, which will provide regular deliveries of food for the school through a donation made by Kellogg’s.  The majority of the children are malnourished, relying heavily on a corn based diet.

Time has really flown by fast and it is hard to believe that I have only two months left of my three month teaching commitment here.  I have found it hard to stay "present" during my time here as my mind keeps focusing on my upcoming marriage.  Pray that God would use me in my remaining time living in Cotzal in spite of myself and for the dental teams that will be traveling here in this upcoming month.

Grace be with you!  
   


  

No comments:

Post a Comment