Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Romans: Hello, I serve Jesus


Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God which he promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures, concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.  Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations to His name, among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ; To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 1:1-7)

This is not exactly the “hey, how’s it going?” opening line that I would have used.  Paul has a way of saying so much with so little words.  Each word he uses there is power behind it.  There is no wasted space.  You can’t really skim through his letters without missing boat loads of truths.  What I tend to do with scripture like this is read it fast and then translate in my mind, “okay, he is saying hello.”  It is the lazy way of reading scripture.  Doing so, you can fall in to the trap of wasting time reading without really understand and letting it change your life. 

Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle… (1:1)

I would have just said “This is Jordan.”  I imagine the Church in Rome already knew who Paul was without him describing himself.  We know his good friends Aquila and Priscilla were influential in the church.  Why does he describe himself in this way?  I have two theories.  One is to remind himself of who he is.  Two is to remind others of his authority.  Three is to be a living example for the church.  Four is that it was common for people at that time to write letters in this fashion.  I realize that is four theories but two came to me as I was writing.  Regardless of his reasons, this statement reveals a lot about how Paul thought of himself.  He was a “bondservant” of Christ.  He served Jesus.  That was the core of who he was.  I feel challenged, do I consider my identity: “Jordan, a servant of Jesus?”  

Paul then continues by stating great truths about the gospel (or good news) of Jesus.  These are a loaded few verses.  It was promised by the Prophets before he was born (there are so many references to this in the OT it is ridiculous; here are just a few: Isaiah 9:6-7, 53:1-12, Jeremiah 31:31-34, Ezekiel 36:25-27).  He was born of flesh but was ultimately declared to be the Son of God through His resurrection.  It is through Jesus that believers, including Paul, have received grace.  It was nothing we deserved by works, but it is from Him alone. 

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. (Ephesians 2: 9-10)

This grace produces obedience to Jesus among all nations.  We have been saved and now we are his witnesses throughout the whole world, including the believers of Rome in 56 A.D. 

 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints…

This is the only letter Paul writes in which he addresses the letter to “all.” He is not writing just to the church in Rome or the saints in Rome, or to a particular individual in Rome, but to everybody in Rome!  All who are in Rome (and everybody in the world) are beloved of God and called to be saints.  We are all sinners called to salvation.  He knows the initial audience will be believers but his purposes for this letter are far greater.  That is my theory anyway. 

Paul makes it clear who he is and exactly who he is writing to in relation to the Kingdom of God.  He is a servant of Christ, called to apostleship, and separated to the good news of God.  He writes in obedience to Christ because of the grace given him.  He is writing to a people who are loved by God and called to be separated to Him as well.  He finishes his greeting.

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ

And he is just getting warmed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment