Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Romans: The Just Live by Faith


For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.  For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith” (Romans 1: 16-17)

Paul is now done with his introduction and ready to dive in.  He boldly states his thesis: The good news of Christ leads to salvation for everybody who believes and in it the righteousness of God is revealed.  He sums it up by quoting the prophet Habakkuk:

The just shall live by faith. 

Habakkuk writes shortly before the Babylonians destroy Jerusalem.  Habakkuk asks the Lord why He, being pure, allows a wicked nation (Babylon) to devour a nation more righteous (Judah), even though Babylon worships its own military might rather than the Lord.   Here is how the Lord answers:

Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that He may run who reads it.  For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie.  Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry.  Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by his faith. (Habakkuk 2: 2-4)

The Lord follows this statement by spending the next 15 verses condemning proud Babylon.  I encourage you to read through those verses, a lot it rings true to our culture today as well.

In the context of Habakkuk the proud is referring to the Babylonians but can be extrapolated to refer to all who trust in themselves.  The just on the other hand live their lives in complete faith and dependence on God.  Sometimes I get into the trap of thinking that being just has to do only with good behavior or doing good things.  That is not what the Lord tells Habakkuk and that is certainly not what Jesus teaches.  The problem with this scenario is that I, and not God, receive the glory for the good things I do, fueling my pride.  Whatever good I do should come from my faith in God and not pride in myself. 

Paul will have plenty more to say about faith later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment