Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Kauai Part 3: End and Reflections

I have yet to get a chance to finish my blogging about Kauai as life got busy around the Christmas season.  It seems so long ago already...

My last full day was a social day.  I got an invite from two friendly women I met on the trail, Adrienne and Leslie, for brunch.  I loved hanging out with them in the morning and it felt like I was hanging out with good friends.  Then we all took a bus to Lihue where they rented a car and I checked into my hotel for my last night.  Later that day I went for a walk to the beach and a kind gentleman picked me up.  I got into a conversation with him and ended up going to a shopping center instead, talking a couple hours over Starbucks coffee.  That conversation felt like a divine appointment as I felt like I was talking with him at a pivotal time in his life.  The next morning I walked to the airport and flew back.

I honestly still don't know why I went to Kauai this December.  It was an awakening experience for my soul.  I had forgotten what it felt like to live each day with little expectation.  I did not know what the next day would bring.  Who would I meet?  What would I do?  Where would I go?  I lived moment by moment rather than living steps ahead in my head.  I had so many unique moments, like talking and playing frisbee late at night with a stranger from Kodiak, or sitting on the beach at night watching a storm roll in in the distance, or walking with a couple from Brazil through the beautiful Kalalau valley.  I wish I could live more like that in day to day life: no schedules, just following the path ahead of me, and stopping to meet some people along the way.

I also felt God teaching me that no matter how tired or weary I get (like I did along the trail), God will give me the strength I need.  I have enough for each day and each moment.  I should not try to conquer tomorrow with today's strength.  I also discovered a bit of God's creation: the fruit trees, the waterfalls, and the epic landscape of the Na Pali Coast.  It was a random trip that reminded me of my place in God's creation.  I thank the Lord for the opportunity to travel and have a little vacation away from home before beginning my mission work in Guatemala.  My next post will detail where I am in preparation for the work to be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment