Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Update in Guatemala Preparation

I am currently sitting up on Lopez Island, and time has slowed down again.  After getting back from Kauai, I jumped back into fundraising.  I swam all 10,000 yards during our annual 100x100 we put on for masters swimmers, this year my friend Kate insisted that the money raised go to support my Guatemala living expenses.  The next day she organized a bake sale at my church, where we sold a bunch of goodies.  That weekend we raised $300.  I am so thankful for supportive friends.  The next week I prepared for a presentation I gave to a rotary club as well as Christmas shopping.  I went to Yakima for a Christmas party, helped the Action International office as they put new carpeting into their office, had Christmas with the family, coached, gave private lessons, and finally came up here to Lopez.

There has been a big change in my plans for the trip to Guatemala.  My dad will be having open heart surgery to replace his bicuspid valve because of an aneurysm that has formed.  That will happen on February 7th.  I know he would appreciate prayer for that.  I have bought a ticket to arrive January 13th and to return February 5th to be there for my family during that time.  I will leave again sometime in mid to late February with an open ended return date but likely returning mid to late July.  The mission and objectives for my trip have not changed, just the dates.  You can read about those on my support letter.

I was able to use a voucher for my airplane ticket for the first leg of the journey.  As it stands, we have raised $720.  This should easily cover the first leg of my trip from January 13th to February 5th as well as contribute a little bit to my living expenses upon my return.  The total estimated cost of my living expenses in Guatemala through the end of July will be about $2,400 ($400/mo.).  

My main goals during my initial 3 week stint will be to set up my living situation, prepare a plan with Tabita for my teaching at the school, get documentary footage of Tabita, and begin teaching.

Thanks everybody for your support.  It will not be too long now that I will be back serving in Guatemala.  I will try to update consistently to keep everybody connected to what is happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment