Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

This is Guatemala: 2

Yes, it is another microbus story.  This one took place in my first week upon arriving to Guatemala in 2013.  It was a cold rainy day, I was crammed into the microbus, sitting on the wheel hub as there was nowhere else to sit.  As we were approaching a corner, the bus came to a fast stop and the ayudante jumped out and ran.  Everybody began clearing out of the microbus to get a look.  Another microbus had flipped over going the other direction and was lying on its side in the middle of the road.  It appeared that it had gone around a corner a little too fast.  Our bus was the first to the scene.  A traffic jam piled up in both directions.  A few ayudantes climbed to the top of the vehicle, which was now the drivers side door, and a few scaled a nearby tree.  They helped the passengers one by one to climb out of the van.  I only saw five come out and all appeared to be shaken but in good condition.  A bunch of men then got to the side of the van and pushed, rolling the microbus back upright.  They started the car and lo and behold, despite appearances to the contrary, it was in good enough condition to drive.  We all piled back into our microbus, as I reclaimed by wheel seat, and we were back off.  Just a minor delay on our way to Cotzal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment