Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Going Deeper

Spring is here.  We have turned the calendar to April and I feel like I have begun anew.  I spent my Semana Santa without internet.  I spent much time studying the Bible and praying, and I did a lot of walking.  At times I felt very bored but I ended the week with a renewed energy and a new direction.  I knew I was not simply here to teach English.

My week of reflection started out with an invitation to accompany one of the teachers and her two children on a visit with her mom.  I was honored by the invitation.  Her two children have become quite taken with me and whenever we walk, each slips their hand into mine.  We walked down a big hill into the valley where her mom lives.  During our visit the teacher recounted her story to me.  Her father was killed when she was only four years old, but she remembers her father and remembers the day he was taken from her.  He was a pastor of a big church in the area.  It was during the Guatemala civil war and pastors, who did not take a side in the war, were seen as a threat by both the army and the guerillas.  Being able to talk more with her on a deeper level was a true blessing and a great start to my week.

The week ended with another blessing.  On Easter Sunday, I left the house to go for a walk.  First I went to visit with Marvin, one of the teachers who had broken his leg, but he was not in his house.  Another teacher, Matias, lived close by, but he also wasn't home.  I decided to walk down the hill where one of families of Colegio HOREB lived.  I didn't really have a plan.  I have a special place in my heart for that family and I wanted to pay them a visit.  I had met with them only once before and it was outside the house.  I walked over and saw some of the children that I teach and started practicing with them in English and asking how their week was.  They have four children that currently attend the school and one that has graduated from the school.  They also have three more that are not old enough to attend.  So all together, there are eight children.  Their parents came out and invited me in to their home.

Inside there were two beds where the family slept.  It was their bedroom and their living room.  Miguel, the father, began to tell about himself.  He labors in the fields but doesn't have his own land.  He can't afford a home for his family and so they rent that tiny room from his mother in law.  He went to the United States to be able to provide for his family but was deported back after a week.  He would go again if he had the money to do so.  I tell him that the family may need money but they need him more.

Their family is beautiful.  I teach four of their children and they are all a little shy, but give the teachers respect and do well at school.  I look around at his children and look back at him.  In Luke 6:43 it says:

For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit.

I know that him and his wife are good trees and follow God, because I have seen and gotten to know their children.  I see a family with a strong faith, a family who God has blessed abundantly, despite their material poverty.  I think of Psalm 127:3-5

Behold children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.  Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!

Miguel obviously spends a lot of time worrying about providing for his family as anybody in his position would be.  I look around at his children one more time and share with him that I think he is a very rich man.  One of my favorite verses pops into my head and I ask if they have a Bible.  Several of their children pull out Bibles and I smile.  I have their eldest read a verse for the family.  Matthew 6: 25-34

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.  Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?  Any why are you anxious about clothing?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  Therefore do not be anxious, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

The whole family, all 10 of them, gathers together and we pray for God to provide work.  Miguel thanks me for my spiritual support.  I am puzzled at this because I never intended to give spiritual support when I arrived.  I was just sort of bored and felt like I wanted to visit with this family because I love teaching those children.  But God used that time and God gave me words.  I think sometimes my plans and agendas for situations get in the way of God using me.  I think I need to show up more and just let God use me whatever way He intends.

The meeting with that family fired me up.  I realized that God wants to use me in a much deeper way than I would ever plan for myself.  I am hoping to spend more time just showing up without agenda and seeing what God has for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment