Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Fathers in Poverty: The Story of Miguel

It was my last day of a seven month stay in the small town of Cotzal, Guatemala. It was time to say goodbye to a family that was dear to my heart. Sitting on a child’s chair outside Miguel’s tiny mud floored home, I listened as he spoke about growing up without a father. He broke into tears. I had never before seen this man so emotional and I looked at his quiet humble wife, who also had tears forming in her eyes. Their beautiful eight children were also there, sitting around us. That day he asked if I would share his story, a story that is far too common in this area.

I had gotten to know this family through his children. I taught four of them English at the Christian school called HOREB. His eldest also came to my house once per week. The children were always well behaved in class and shy. Pedro is the eldest and is in the 8th grade. At HOREB, I taught Maria (6th), Alicia (4th), Brenda (3rd), and Humberto (2nd). Their other three children (including a baby) are not yet of school age. Miguel encourages all the children to get a good education and his greatest desire is for all of them to attend university one day. He lives his life for his children and wishes he could provide for them and make that dream a reality.

He sees the value in education because he doesn't have one. Miguel only made it to the 2nd grade. He did not have a father encouraging him to get an education and now as a man struggling to provide even the most basic needs for his family, he wants his children to have a better life. He works hard. He owns and drives a “tuc-tuc” and also works as a laborer in the fields. But it is not enough. He does not own his own house or own land, the family of 10 lives with his wife’s parents in a house the size of a middle class living room in the United States. It is by the shores of a river which flooded one night this past May. The water took some of their few possessions they had and turned their dirt floors into a muddy mess. The children still went to school the next day, looking very tired.

Miguel feels so much weight when it comes to his responsibilities as the father of the household. He sees no hope in properly providing for his family in his current situation. So a few years ago, he was able to save enough money to travel to the United States as an illegal immigrant. It was a dangerous journey but he made it all the way into the U.S., hiring a “coyote.” He was deported back after only one week and returned home. He seeks to return, viewing earning money in the U.S. as the best hope for his family.

As a father, he is invested in his children’s lives. When the HOREB soccer team traveled to Nebaj, a nearby town, or later to the much bigger and farther away town of Quiche, he insisted on coming with the team and teachers to support his daughter. He was the only father to do so.

While poor in material possessions, the family is rich in love. In my first meeting with them, I shared how wealthy I thought that they were in having a family of eight children, all so full of love. I know God will use them and do amazing things through them. As the head of the household, Miguel falls into worry, wanting to provide for his family without the resources to be able to do so. In the end, all he can do is rely on God. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Please keep this family in your prayers and pray that the Lord would give Miguel work, to be able to provide for his family and give his children a good education. There are many fathers like him in the Ixil: fathers without an education and without a means to receive one, feeling powerless to provide. Many seek to immigrate illegally to the U.S. Many give up and leave their family. Many turn to alcohol. Thank God for the 
fathers like Miguel, who keep fighting with faith, hope, and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment