Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Lesson 4 - Deny Yourself

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me" - Jesus (Luke 9:23)

 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own... (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)


...that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts (Ephesians 4:22)

By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. (1 John 3:16)

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6: 21)


I have heard many sermons on loving God but not nearly enough on denying yourself.  There have been times I have tried to put on the new man described in Ephesians 4 but have neglected the part of putting off the old man.  True love is sacrifice. 

I by no means walk the walk.  I can be a selfish human being and at times, in my selfishness, I seek God.  Then I wonder why I cannot find Him.  Why doesn´t He make me feel better about myself?  As if the whole point of my faith in God is for Him to give me a fulfilling life here on Earth.  


What does denying yourself look like?  I think it is a conscious choice you make in all aspects of your life.  There will always be temptations.  Even Jesus had to endure temptations.  The path of Christ is not a path without temptations.  The path of Christ is choosing God over that temptation.  That is denying yourself, that is putting your treasure in heaven.  


You have to be careful though, because sometimes what looks like a holy denying of oneself is really selfishness in its purest form.  Jesus warned about this in Matthew 6 when talking about fasting:  


Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,  so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

If you deny yourself in order to receive praise from men or for your own reputation, this is not really denying yourself.  You are still loving yourself more than you are loving God.  

Also, I think sometimes we associate loving God with feeling positive emotions toward God all the time.  A mother can feel anger toward her child for misbehaving, does this mean she does not love her child?  Of course not.  Likewise, I think it is okay to get angry at God, just like any other relationship.  I believe loving God is arranging your life in a way that you are truly living for Him.  That includes a repeated denial of yourself.  It involves doing things for His glory and not your own.  

On Lesson 2, I talk about loving God with all your heart and what a challenge that is.  If you are still trying to control your own life in order to fulfill your own wants, you cannot love Him with all your heart.  It is impossible.  In what ways can you lay down your life today?    

"There is a choice you have to make in everything you do, but keep in mind that in the end, the choice you make, makes you." - John Wooden 












1 comment: