Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Walking to Cajixay

It was a rainy Saturday morning as I took the microbus to Cotzal.  The plan was to arrive in town, buy some food, and walk to Cajixay along a dirt road that climbs up into the mountains.  I went to Cajixay two weeks before, but did not have much time in the village.  It is about a 10 kilometer walk from Cotzal to Cajixay.  Along the way I met many people who were walking the other direction.  I do not think the locals were to used to seeing Gringos walking the road.  It was a very neat to walk because locals have to do it frequently.  There is not much transportation along this road, only an occasional truck, and a bus that goes to and from the market on Saturdays.  That is why I chose to go on this particular day, I was going to take the bus back that comes from the market.

men playfully line up to take bags from truck
I walked through two little villages on the way.  I met one guy from Nama walking who was the director of a small school in that village.  He said a team from the United States was coming down next week to help with construction.  I may go back to Nama to visit this school and perhaps meet this short term team.  As I was almost to Cajixay, I ran into a very large group of people from Cajixay at their agricultural land called Tu Chok.  A truck came with hundreds of 100 pound bags of dirt and the men were beginning to unload when I came across them.

Cajixay
Tu Chok: planting lots of peas
Benjamin's family was with that group.  That is the family I visited for a very short time when I went to Cajixay two weeks before.  After getting the bags from the truck, they were separated out by family.  I helped a bit with this.  The land up there is all together but different families own different parts of the land.  Then they carried their bags to their land.  I thought I would help and so I carried a 100 pound bag of dirt a couple hundred yards the way I saw the men carrying them.  Either I carried it wrong, or they have very strong necks or upper back muscles, because after carrying one bag, I thought I had done permanent damage to my neck.  It probably didnt help that I slipped in the mud and fell on my butt with a 100 pound bag balanced on my neck.  I did not help anymore after that.  I walked into Cajixay while the people stayed there and spread out their dirt.  I snapped a few photos and walked back.  All the people were at their corresponding land working.  They are planting peas and this place is a site to behold with the amount of peas that are being planted!  I walked around and talked with a few of them and then caught the bus as it headed back to Cotzal.
Sebastian works his land on slope of mountain





No comments:

Post a Comment