Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Frodo and the Problem of Evil

Another excerpt from Nate Wilson as quoted in the March 10th edition of WORLD magazine.

Could you, if you were Frodo the hobbit, raise the problem of evil to Tolkien?  Frodo might say, and this is a traditional postulation, Tolkien is either bad at writing, or evil.  Or option three, he doesn´t exist.  Does that argument hold water?  Can Frodo look at his reality and say, of the author, "there either isn´t one, or he sucks, or he's really evil?"

That´s what the philosophers give us.  But we look at Frodo and we can say, "You idiot...the evil is here to be beaten!  It´s here to be overcome!  It's here to be broken - break it!  Go throw the ring in the volcano!  Don't sit there and look at it and say, ´there is no Tolkien, because if there was, how could such an evil exist?"'

No comments:

Post a Comment