Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Romans: Introduction


           Over the next few months, I am going to blog about the letter that Paul wrote to the church in Rome around 56 AD.  This sounds incredibly boring but I think if you commit to read each day, and I commit to write each day, it will be a rich experience.  First off, I want to say that I am not a Bible scholar or an expert by any means.  Much of what I write will be personal reflections using the text as a guide.  My only sources will be the Bible (mostly the NKJV) and occasionally the MacArthur Bible commentary to help me gain a greater understanding of the text.

            I honestly don’t know why I am committing so much time to blog about the letter to the Romans.  I feel a sense of wanting to go deeper through this text and writing a series of blog posts forces me to go deep.  I hope this will not be a situation where I blog about scriptural truths and then ignore them as I live my life.  Lord, teach me through your Word.  Give me the courage to not only write about your Word but to live it out. 

            I plan on posting each day of the work week and then writing and praying through it.  If you have comments, feel free to add them.  Like all of you, I am just trying to figure this stuff out.  I am not some super holy Christian dude and if anything I write reeks of self righteousness, I hope you will call me out on it so I can recalibrate.  I am still learning about His grace and it is through our unworthiness that we learn about the greatness of His mercies.  It is all about Him.  So I dedicate this blog series to God, may He speak through me, and may others find Him in these writings, however they come out.       

            I hope some of you take this journey with me and meditate upon the verses of Romans in the coming weeks.

            Tomorrow, we will explore the life and ministry of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment