Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Living in a Fantasy World


Click to enlarge

From Author Nate Wilson, as excerpted in March 10th edition of WORLD magazine:

I want kids to realize that they live in a fantasy world: they should not finish a novel and think, "Now back to my unmagical, boring existence."  This world is crazy.  The grass outside is made out of thin air by sunlight.  Heat from a ball of fire in the sky turns into carbon dioxide, air grabs some heat from the sun and rips the carbon out and makes itself a leaf.  It's not made out of dirt, it's made out of thin air.  We're on a ball of rock flying at Mach 86 around a ball of fire in the sky, right now, just around and around.


Imagine describing to Frodo (from Lord of the Rings) how we fly around, in a steel tube the size of school buses, and then we have this vapor our alchemists make, and you light a match to it.  We sit in this steel tube, and somebody stands up front and says, 'buckle up,' we strap in, and then we light that stuff and we go whipping through the sky, six miles up.  We hurtle along, hop a continent, and then I get off.  I tell Frodo that, then I say, "Man, I wish I lived in a fantasy land that is magical like yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment