Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Bearer of Good News


It was February 1st, my last full day in Cotzal before beginning my long journey back to Seattle.  I arranged a meeting with the Junta Directiva (the school board) of HOREB.  The Junta Directiva is a rather new development.  All previous dialogue about the school generally went through the Director, Tabita.  The President of the Junta Directiva, Pedro, has a daughter in the 3rd grade attending the school.  He started the meeting by informing me of the progress that was being made to make Colegio HOREB a legal entity in Guatemala.  It is a process that takes a long time and I was happy to hear they were very close to making it happen.

Then I got to share with them the support that was going to come in from WIND of God.  What an amazing honor and privilege to act as the WIND of God spokesperson in this meeting.  I got to be the representative of so many people who have prayed for and given support for this school in the United States.  What an incredible and humbling experience to be the messenger of such good news!  I first told them that we were not just planning on leaving after just one year or two years, but hopefully we would walk with them for many, many years.  I shared the amount of support we had set aside for the teachers and other expenses for this year.  Then I got to share with them the amount of support we had set aside to purchase the land for a new school.  I don’t know what I was expecting when I shared this news but I was not anticipating the reaction. 

They became overcome with emotion.  For many years they had been praying for their own school.  HOREB currently rents space and does not have a place to call their own.  As they took in what I was saying, they realized that God was listening to their prayers.  The sixth grade teacher and vice president of the Junta Directiva, Matias, remembered a particular moment in time when all the children were praying for help in purchasing the piece of land set aside for the school.  The members of the Junta Directiva have a shared vision of a new generation transforming Cotzal and a new generation accepting Christ in their hearts.  They are dreaming big, wanting to start a Basico program (middle school), Diversificado (high school), and maybe even one day a university in Cotzal.

The HOREB 6th graders from last year are currently attending various Basico schools in the area.  They miss the Christian environment of HOREB.  I remember talking with Romualdo last year, the Director of a Christian school in nearby Chajul, and him saying that it is at the Basico level when children really begin to grasp and think about the gospel.  At the elementary school level, the children are compliant and will believe what you tell them.  It is when they get older that they began to question and become influenced by other ideas, and it is at this time that the Christian environment is so crucial.  There is currently no Basico Christian school in Cotzal.

At the end of the meeting the president, Pedro, said that he saw me as a messenger not only from WIND of God the organization, but from the wind of God himself.  We ended the meeting in prayer, passionately praising God and praying for the next generation of Cotzal.  I got goosebumps.  I still get goosebumps when I recall the meeting.  God had given them a message through me, a message that was an answer to their prayers.  I was the only one in the meeting privy with knowledge of both sides and for them my news was nothing short of God’s providence.  I wish every person that has supported this school got to experience that meeting with me.  For them it was a new beginning to something grand that God is planning to do in the humble town.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment