Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Writings

Reconnecting

Last year at this time, I was just a stranger in a strange land.  My Spanish was passable but awful, I felt completely unversed in the culture, and I probably spent more time lost than not.  What a difference a year makes.  My Spanish is still wanting but definitely improved.  The culture feels familiar and dare I say comfortable.  I was not sure how being away for 9 months would affect me, but it feels like I was only gone a week.  Everything came back to me upon arrival and I was ready to hit the ground running, after catching up on sleep of course.

Upon arriving in Cotzal, I went into the Colegio to say hello to the teachers, who were there preparing for classes to start.  A few of the children were there and immediately swarmed and embraced me.  The teachers were happy to see me and it didn't feel like we missed a beat.  While I was gone one of the teachers had a baby and named him ¨Jordan Richard.¨  I am not sure yet how I feel to have a little Jordan Richard walking the streets of Cotzal, it definitely is humbling.  He is 6 months with a full head of hair. (But dad, I heard the teachers calling him Rich so your name may end up being the one that sticks!) 

I visited several hours with Tabita, first eating lunch in her home, and later visiting her other place of work.  At her home lives a missionary from El Salvador named Myrna and her adopted daughter Bertita.  Bertita has grown so much since my last trip and is definitely a talker!  She will be turning two very soon. 

My second day in Cotzal, I was like a hobbit and had two lunches.  We had a teachers meeting in the Colegio and Myrna led us in a Bible study of Colossians 3.  Maybe I will blog a devotion using those verses soon because it definitely spoke to me in that moment.  Mathias, the 6th grade teacher, invited me into his home for lunch.  This was my first time in his home and while this culture feels more familiar, the relative poverty of how people live here still strikes me and wakes me up.  He showed me many photos of him, his girlfriend, and children he has taught.  We talked about cultural differences, places we wanted to go, and about how God is leading us.  I appreciate how patient he is with me as I make an effort to communicate.  I enjoy my rich conversations with him.

After eating lunch with him, I went to Josue's house to visit with his family.  I was serenaded with "Jordan!  Jordan!"  Josue has so much energy, he cracks me up.  I can't simply walk into that home without eating.  They are the most hospitable people you will ever meet and although I was not hungry and resisted, they still made me good food.  It was a good day.

As I was waiting for the bus to return to Nebaj, I was thrilled to see recent 6th grade graduate Rosy heading toward me.  She gave me a big hug and of course I checked her English skills.  She is continuing on in her education going to Colegio Bethania, a Christian school in Nebaj.  Her smile was the perfect end to my time in Cotzal that day.

I am currently staying with my friends: Domingo, Kara, and Jaden.  Café Mingo has changed locations but their restaurant is doing well.  We celebrated Jaden's 2nd birthday yesterday with cake followed by pancakes.  He is one lucky boy. 

I have been in contact with a fellow who is teaching English at another Christian school in nearby Santa Avelina.  We have talked about finding a place in Cotzal together and we will meet up tomorrow.




         

 

No comments:

Post a Comment